Sunday 17 February 2013

Weekend of Top 5's

I'm a fan of lists. So here is my weekend in the medium of lists (your lucky, I was toying with interpretive dance).

Top Cardiff Market Bargains

1.  Fabulous hunks of Ox cheek £5.99 per kg, from K. Blackmore & Sons.
2. In Sri Lankan cooking we love chunks of mutton (with bone!) to make a good curry, at the same butchers we picked up some wonderful diced Welsh Mutton for £6.99 per kg.
3. A variety of 50p bags of fruit and veg: mushrooms, huge red peppers, strawbs, bananas, and even a job lot of smoked garlic!
4. Whole large Grey Mullet, expertly filleted at Ashton's, £3.29 (£5.99 per kg).
5. Half a dozen free range eggs £1.40.




Top Meals

1. Home made Jamaican Oxtail stew, thanks to Mr G's Soul Kitchen for the marinating tips! The slow cooking, scotch bonnets and allspice berries made this dish rich and flavourful, perfect with a bottle of red.
2. Mexican Eggs- spicy, easy Sunday brunch.
3. Spinach and Feta Pastry from Pipi's, with a good strong coffee. The baklava here is amazing, a favourite ‘coffee & pastry’ haunt of ours.
4. Sticky, fudgey homemade meringues served with cream and macerated strawbs. The egg whites were left over from Valentines Beef Wellington (yolks used to glaze).
5. Cream egg in front of the TV.




Top Places

1. The breathtaking sand dunes of Merthyr Mawr. Such a good work out, making your way over these steep, golden hills! Bird life is great too.
2. Ogmore beach. Just beautiful. There is no place on earth I would have rather have been today. The sun, wind, air and exercise fuel both heart and mind. The stuff that clever people write poetry about.
3. Cardiff Market, as you can gather from the bargains list- we really enjoyed ourselves yesterday. You can get up close and really choose your produce, stall holders are friendly and the butchers especially was massively knowledgeable. I truly think that shopping this way is lighter on your wallet too. If you enjoy your food, get down to the market and show your support- your belly will thank you!
4. St David's Hall, Friday night we spent the evening with family- being entertained by the incredible Yamato Drummers.
5. My garden, I planted a tree today!







I love Cardiff, I love that we have the city for its culture, markets, restaurants and nightlife- and I love that we can be by the sea, countryside or even mountains in no time. Aren't we lucky? With a fridge and freezer full of locally purchased food, I am ready for the week ahead! Although I am going to have a go at the 2 days at 500 cals fad that everyone seems to be doing at the moment. I want to see if I can do it in a delicious way, I’ll let you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment